This hearty soup packs a punch and is ready in 30 minutes!
I did it again and took pictures of my lacking-broth bowl of soup. SORRY! I am not big on a bunch of broth in my soup. So basically I like a soupless soup because I'm a weirdo. Our household is big on soup. We have a weekly soup night and we have a song for soup night. We also have somehow acquired a song for kale as well. So to say this soup is a big deal means it is a big deal! Kale soup is pretty much our new family favorite and this recipe was awesome. It was nice to have slices of potato rather than the customary cubed potatoes in soup. Also...it had kale. AND spicy sausage. All the good stuff, basically :)
What you need:
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bunches of kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 4 medium sized russet potatoes, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large stockpot, cook sausage over medium-high heat and crumble as it browns. Remove and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add butter and onions. Cook until onions are translucent and soft around 3 to 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another minute. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add kale in batches. Add another batch when the previous one wilts down. Season with nutmeg and cook for 3 more minutes until it is bright green.
- Add potatoes, cooked sausage, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Season to taste.
- Stir in heavy cream and serve.
Recipe from The Candid Appetite
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram