Breakfast just got a little sweeter with these chocolatey homemade donuts
I am incredibly picky with donuts. In fact, about the only donut I will eat is a cake donut. I absolutely love homemade donuts and haven't met one that I didn't like. I think it may be because most all of them have been cake donuts - no yeast donuts for me! These ones are devilishly good. I thought the glaze would be overkill, but it's fingerlicking good. We did sprinkles on top instead of more chocolate, but I could see toffee bits being amazing as well.
AND these beautifully dipped donuts were done with the help of my 8 year old daughter - who also helped with the sprinkles too. I think she did a fantastic job! Be sure to visit the end of my post for more of the #Choctoberfest recipes from my blogging friends :)
What you need:
For the donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and gently fold them together using a silicone spatula.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a greased donut pan - you can use a large plastic baggie with the corner snipped or a large piping bag. Or you can spoon the batter in little by little. Fill the rounds about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake in a preheated-325 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes until they spring back to the touch.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Make the glaze by placing the glaze ingredients in a double boiler and stirring until smooth.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze. Decorate with chocolate chips, chunks, sprinkles, etc.
Recipe from Style Me Pretty Living
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram