This was a huge hit at Thanksgiving last year. We did a big shindig at one of our friends' houses since most of the military families around don't get to visit their actual families for the holiday. I personally really really loved this. I'm a huge fan of Andes mints..a huge fan of chocolate. I could/would eat this every day for the rest of my life for every meal if I could :)
What you need:
- 1 Devil's Food cake mix (you will also need water, oil and eggs as called for on the box
- 16 oz. non-dairy whipped topping
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 pkg. Andes Mints
- Follow mixing instructions on the pkg. of cake. Bake as directed for two 8 or 9-inch layers. Cool cakes thoroughly before frosting, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile with a vegetable peeler, shave alongside each Andes mint lengthwise to equal about 1/2 cup curls. Set aside curls for sprinkling on top of assembled cake. Chop broken pieces and reserve for use in frosting (about 1/3 cup).
- In a large mixing bowl with mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Then lower the speed and slowly mix in the non-dairy whipped topping with the cream cheese. Fold the mints into the cream.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; top with half the frosting and spread evenly. Place second layer on top and use remaining frosting to top the cake. Sprinkle top with Andes mint curls. Cover and refrigerate cake if not serving right away.