Today is my 25th birthday.
I'm really not sure how to feel about 25. I definitely don't feel old. Maybe the best way to describe my weirdness about 25...I feel like the last decade of my life flew by! I definitely think it's been a lot of amazing years and wish they would just slow down some. At the same time, with the third deployment being over halfway done, I kinda don't want the time to slow down just yet :P
My oldest (who is 6 1/2 years old *sniffle*) told me I shouldn't cook dinner on my birthday. He insisted he would make sandwiches for dinner - his dream job is to be a Sandwich King like Jeff Mauro. I thought this was just incredibly sweet and asked him what he thought about going to a restaurant for dinner. He LOVED this idea and we picked Olive Garden, so tonight we're having Italian.
In other news...these chili dogs would have been a totally acceptable meal for my birthday. Anything that has bacon in it, on it, wrapped around it, is worth a try. I get the hankering for a good (messy) chili dog every once in a while. The chili is perfect - I subbed 1 Tbsp. of regular chili powder with some ancho chili powder. They are definitely and most certainly the best chili dogs I've ever had.
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1/4 lb. bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Hot dogs (I prefer turkey dogs)
- Hot dog buns
- Cheddar cheese
- Fry bacon in olive oil over medium high heat until almost done. Add onion (reserve some for topping) and cook until onions start to soften.
- Add ground beef, brown and crumble.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper. Reduce to low and simmer while you cook hot dogs.
- Cook hot dogs in your preferred way.
- Serve hot dogs in buns, topped with chili, cheese, and onions.
Recipe from The Stir