This amazing bowl of veggies and sausage and pasta is something that seriously makes me reconsider spaghetti with tomato meat sauce being my favorite meal in the whole entire world. It's really funny because I just recently started liking sausage and Parmesan. So it's crazy to have something that hasn't been a food I would choose to eat in the past become something that I would choose over regular spaghetti. But it's THAT good. The veggies are roasted to perfection and you really just have the flavors of the veggies and sausage doing the talking for this recipe.
What is also just awesome about this pasta dish is that it makes a HUGE batch - well, not HUGE, but it fed myself and the kids...and then the next day it fed myself and the kids plus our two friends. If there's one thing that can't be beat...it's a large quantity of a really great meal.
What you need:
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 squash, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell, seeded and diced
- 10 stalks asparagus, diced into 1-inch pieces - I subbed for broccoli florets because my grocery store was completely out of asparagus
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 12 oz. penne, cooked
- Parmesan cheese
- Toss onion, squash, zucchini, red bell, and asparagus with EVOO and salt and pepper. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast at 400* for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes*.
- Toss tomatoes with EVOO and salt and pepper. *Add when you flip the veggies.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage and crumble. Deglaze with chicken broth.
- Toss sausage, veggies, and pasta together. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and toss again.
- Serve topped with more Parmesan, if desired.
Recipe from My Turn For Us