Nick is currently deployed for the third time and this go-around the kids are really old enough to grasp that concept. Last deployment, we did a kiss jar. I'm not gonna lie...I really didn't want to count out 365 kisses times two again. AND Matthew is too much like me and has a major sweet tooth that has landed him 8 cavities (that are all thankfully filled now). So I decided to kind of do a cake a month type deal...almost like a birthday. So each month, we've had a cake or cupcakes for one more month done. I let Matt & Cami pick out what they wanted from my cakes and cupcakes boards on Pinterest.
For May, I picked out the Pina Colada cupcakes that I've been wanting to make for so long. They are so cute and I'm big on coconut flavored cake or frosting. Top it with a cherry and umbrella - and you have the cutest cupcake EVER!
What you need:
For the cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed pineapple, slightly drained
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temp
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Toasted coconut, if desired
- For the cupcakes: Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Beat together eggs and sugar in a stand mixer about 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Mix in oil and vanilla on low speed; then mix in sour cream and pineapple.
- Add flour mixture, being careful not to overmix.
- Fill paper tin-lined muffin pan about 2/3 full for each cup.
- Bake in a preheated 350* oven for around 22 minutes. Let cool on wire rack before frosting.
- For the frosting: Blend butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and blend until combined.
- Add extracts and 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time on low speed.
- Beat on medium until fluffy.
- Add heavy cream and beat 1 more minute.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with coconut, pineapple, cherries, etc.
Recipe from Food, Folks, and Fun