Taco Bell apparently has this taco called the Meximelt. From what I understand, it's like a regular taco with pico de gallo. A few bloggers have posted copycat recipes of the Meximelt and I really wanted to try it without having to go to an actual Taco Bell. I ended up having leftovers and since I'm a pastaholic the first thought I had was to take the leftovers and make it into a pasta dish!
Pico de gallo just really fits with pasta. I love pico de gallo. Add in the melty cheesy goodness...oh, I am just in heaven.
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 Taco Bell taco seasoning packet
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. penne
- Mexican style cheese (1 cup or so)
- Cook turkey in EVOO until browned; drain if necessary. Mix in taco seasoning packet plus water, as called for on packet.
- In a bowl, mix together tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta. Drain.
- Add ground turkey and cheese, mix in until cheese has melted.
- Stir in prepared pico de gallo to your liking. Serve immediately.