Classic caprese flavors in a wonderful chicken and quinoa casserole
Hello, everyone! I am back for another Sunday Supper Movement event. Today's event is hosted by Rini of Healing Tomato and the theme is RECIPES USING FRESH TOMATOES. I immediately thought of this dish because it is one of my more recent favorites. I initially made it without pesto, but I feel the pesto really adds a depth of flavor it was missing prior to. Plus I have been on a very big pesto kick lately. It honestly doesn't matter what I'm trying to eat...a sandwich, pasta, pizza, etc., I've probably put pesto in or on it. I personally think this casserole would also be great with ground turkey or beef or even Italian sausage.
Don't forget to check out the recipes at the bottom of the post from my fellow Sunday Supper Movement blogger friends!
What you need:
- 3 cups diced rotisserie chicken -- or -- cooked cubed chicken
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, pesto, and balsamic vinegar over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Then add half and half, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, quinoa, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and sauce. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish and then top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and sliced tomatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and the casserole is heated through.
- Top with chopped basil to your liking.
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram