When in doubt, double the chocolate and serve it for breakfast!
As a kid, my mom made the pouch muffins all the time. I'm not going to lie...those pouch chocolate chip muffins are still, to this day, one of my very favorite breakfasts. However, I'm always worried about any packaged goodies being discontinued and finding copycat recipes that would take the place of them is pretty important to me. This is not a copycat recipe, but I do like to try plenty of muffin recipes so I can have a good little treasure trove of wonderful muffin recipes to make. Instead of a vanilla based muffin with chocolate chips, this recipe is double the chocolate. And there is nothing wrong with double the chocolate! The chocolate muffin with chocolate chips is just fabulous.
What you need:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and egg. Then stir in 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently fold until just combined.
- Fill 12 muffin cups (lined with paper liners) with batter and then sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips evenly between 12 muffins cups.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan. Then finish cooling on a wire rack.
One of my favorite muffin recipes that is not a chocolate base, but does have chocolate chips in it is this Blackberry Chocolate Chip Muffins. And hello, these gorgeous Chocolate Chip Cookie Muffins from Table for Seven look like they are going to be a perfect match for those packaged pouch muffins I was talking about before :)
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram