Impress friends and family with this cheesy, spicy bread that, as it turns out, is easy to make, but you don't have to let them know that!
I honestly could not scream favorite enough for this recipe for jalapeno cheese bread. It was my first time making bread in my cast iron Dutch oven and I was incredibly nervous. I did have my recipe come from someone I would call a bread making guru. Karen's blog has a million and a half bread recipes and is such a wealth of knowledge for a bread beginner, so I knew I had a trusted source for a good recipe. It just fell on me to not screw it up!
I was so thankful that I did not screw it up. I followed Karen's instructions very carefully and the result was the best bread I have ever had in my life. We used it to make jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches (recipe coming soon!), like the jalapenos and cheese in the bread weren't enough to begin with! I just cannot describe in words how perfect and delicious this bread was. Y'all have got to try it for yourselves!
What you need:
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. instant yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. pepper jack cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeded or leave some for more heat)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into thin rings
- THE NIGHT BEFORE: Whisk together flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in cheese and minced jalapenos. Then add water and mix until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature over night.
- DAY OF BAKING: Preheat cast iron Dutch oven with lid in oven at 450 degrees.
- Place bread dough on a lightly floured surface. With wet hands, stretch and fold dough several times to form it into a ball. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, place a tea towel inside and dust with flour. Form dough into a ball and place inside bowl seam side down.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Remove lid from cast iron Dutch oven and plastic wrap from bowl.
- Place a piece of parchment paper followed by a plate over the bowl. Flip and remove tea towel from dough.
- Transfer parchment paper and dough to the Dutch oven and cover with the lid.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minute, covered.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle with shredded cheese and jalapeno slices and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
I do love jalapeno bread as evidenced by this recipe for Jalapeno Bacon Skillet Cornbread I posted on the blog recently. Another one of Karen's recipes that I am dying to try is her Gruyere Cheese Bread, but honestly, it's one of many bread recipes I have saved to try. She is definitely my go-to for a solid bread recipe.
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram