This grilled cheese is outrageously good with its cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, bacon, and cheese on jalapeno cheese bread.
Are y'all ready for this jalapeno popper goodness? It's outrageous. It truly is.
I'm a little late posting today and didn't realize I needed to get a post up until around lunchtime. Then it was a matter of I wasn't happy with the recipe I was going to post and hummed and hawed over what the new recipe would be. I finally started posting 2016 recipes, so it's not that I don't have any ready to go. I have too many. I have the rest of this calendar year planned out posting-wise, so it was just a matter of picking one of my newer recipes to share today. I posted the jalapeno cheese bread recipe I used in this recipe last Thursday and did not have these grilled cheese sandwiches anywhere in my posting calendar for 2017, so it was definitely fate!
These are not yo momma's jalapeno popper grilled cheese. They are not simply grilled cheese with the flavors of jalapeno poppers. Nope. They have literal cream cheese stuffed roasted jalapenos inside them. Plus more cheese. Plus bacon. Plus...it's all on CHEESY JALAPENO BREAD!!! Come through, Jalapeno Popper Flavor, come through!
What you need:
- Jalapeno cheese bread, thinly sliced (I used this recipe, store bought is fine too)
- Salted butter, at room temperature
- Shredded Mexican blend or Colby jack cheese
- Bacon, cooked
- Jalapenos, roasted (directions here) and seeded, as much as desired
- Whipped cream cheese or softened cream cheese
Note: You can roast the pepper as a whole (just flip the pepper after one side has blackened and blacken the other) or you can slice them in half and roast them.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- In a cool cast iron skillet, add a piece of bread for each sandwich you will make, butter side down.
- Top each piece with a generous amount of shredded cheese and then lay down slices of bacon. Our bread was rather short, so I split our pieces of bacon in half to fit.
- Fill roasted jalapenos with cream cheese and then place on top of bacon.
- Top with more shredded cheese and then top with remaining pieces of bread, butter side up.
- Turn on heat at medium low and use something heavy to press the sandwiches down a bit. Remove the something heavy and cook until sandwiches are golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip and cook until the other side is golden brown as well.
- Let sit for a minute and then slice, if desired, and enjoy immediately!
For some real jalapeno poppers, check out these Atomic Buffalo Turds that are sausage stuffed jalapeno poppers! And if you're wanting to make something with jalapeno popper flavors, be sure to stop by I Wash...You Dry and get the recipe for Jalapeno Popper Totchos. That's nachos with tatertots!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram