Strawberry and yellow swirled cake stacked and topped with Cool Whip and berries galore!
This is my take on a recipe called Triple Berry Cake - mine differs a little :) It's great for Fourth of July - being red, white and blue! I took strawberry and yellow cake mixes and swirled them together. Then topped the whole thing with Cool Whip,fresh berries, and raspberry preserves. This was actually made for Nick's birthday way back before I started my blog, so I definitely need to remake it and get a picture without flash.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 box strawberry cake mix (I like the Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
- 3/4 cup (4 oz.) fresh blueberries
- 2 cups (12 oz.) fresh raspberries
- 1 qt. (18 oz.) fresh strawberries, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves, divided
- 1 (8 oz.) carton Cool Whip, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Generously grease 8 or 9-inch round cake pans.
- Prepare cake batter according to pkgs.
- Divide yellow cake between three pans. Then take strawberry cake and divide it between three pans. Take a knife and swirl the cake mix. To swirl, DO NOT MIX! Act like you are cutting the cake :)
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then turn out onto wire racks.
- Place berries in a large bowl and set aside.
- Microwave 1/4 cup preserves in small bowl on HIGH until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Pour over berries and stir carefully to glaze them.
- Place 1 layer of cake on a platter and spread whipped cream over it.
- Spoon 1/3 cup berries and then top with 2nd layer.
- Repeat whipped cream and berries, then top with 3rd layer.
- Cover sides and top with the remaining whipped cream.
- Place remaining berries in center of the top layer of cake.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Melt remaining preserves and spoon over top of cake after slightly cooling, let drip down sides.
- Refrigerate 1 hour more.