It is no longer summer, by a long shot especially here in New York, however, it seems like our stores have more zucchini and yellow squash in stock than were available during the summer. I have had quite a few zucchini boat or stuffed squash recipes, but never got around to making them. I've been trying to coax my kids to eat yellow squash a bit more and they usually will eat it when it's paired with spaghetti or pasta of some sort. So it only makes sense that this recipe would be good to test out on them. They both loved it. My 6 year old can smell Italian sausage from a mile away, so he didn't hesitate to gobble it up.
What you need:
- 3 zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I used seasoned)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the innards of squash.
- Mix together sausage, bread crumbs, garlic, egg, and Parmesan. Fill squash with mixture.
- Place into a baking pan and pour pasta sauce over the top.
- Cover and bake at 400* for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and add mozzarella to the top of the squash. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.