Cilantro lime rice topped with marinaded chili lime veggies and chicken make this fajita bowl better than the rest!
I am a newbie to burrito/fajita bowls (and still haven't tried a smoothie bowl) even though they have probably come and gone in the trending foods. I'm always pretty late to the trending food game LOL. Anyways, I was intrigued by this recipe from Carlsbad Cravings. It's not just taco-seasoned chicken...it's chili lime seasoned chicken and it's seriously such a punch of flavor to your tastebuds. The chicken alone was really delicious and so hard for me to stop snacking on while I fixed the rest of the bowls. If you follow the link at the very end of this post, you can also make the chipotle lime crema for the topping instead of just plain sour cream. I have made a similar crema before, but since I am the only one that ate it...I didn't want to be wasteful and just topped mine with plain sour cream.
**You will want to start this in the morning and let it marinate all day!**
What you need:
- Thinly sliced chicken breasts (4 to 5)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, separated
- Sour cream
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thinly into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly into strips
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups long grained rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- For the marinade: Mix all ingredients together. Place half into a plastic zipper baggie and add the chicken.
- Mix the other half with 1/3 cup honey and then add to another plastic zipper baggie and add the veggies.
- Marinate chicken and vegetables for 6 to 10 hours.
- For the rice: heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cumin and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add beans and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Check at 15 minutes and stir until done.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Then stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and discard the baggie. Add to skillet and cook until done.
- Let chicken sit for 3 to 5 minutes before slicing.
- Then add 1 Tbsp. olive oil into the same skillet you cooked the chicken in. Heat over miedium heat.
- Remove vegetables from marinade and discard the baggie. Add vegetables to skillet and cook until heated through.
- Assemble bowls: layer rice, vegetables, cheese, chicken, and top with sour cream.
Recipe from Carlsbad Cravings
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram