The one pot wonder of the world! This stuffed pepper skillet is wonderful.
This recipe originally calls for rice, however, when I had planned this out, it was right around the time that I had made a similar rice-based one pot meal. So I really wanted some quinoa in my life. I also for some reason had a bunch of different quinoas on hand and didn't want them to go to waste because it's not necessarily the cheapest grain.
You could absolutely use rice in this though, so if quinoa isn't in your budget or tastes, definitely pull out the rice. You main have to adjust the cooking time to cook your rice all the way though. The next time this is on the menu, I'm going to drain my tomatoes. I think that quinoa may have absorbed less liquid than rice would have, but that's for me to figure out I suppose LOL. It was still a super flavorful dish. I love having stuffed peppers without having the big pieces of pepper to cut while I try and eat. My kids appreciate it too :)
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can (15 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 medium sweet bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, plus some, if desired
- In a deep large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until browned. Drain, if needed.
- Add quinoa and cook until golden brown for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients except for the cheese and stir.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to medium low and cover.
- Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked and burst, stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese and cover. Turn of heat and let sit for 5 minutes for cheese to melt.
Recipe slightly adapted from The Wholesome Dish
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram