Delicious slice and bake hazelnut shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate and topped with more hazelnuts!
Hello, everyone! Welcome to our second Food Fight! Fantastical Food Fight is a group of food bloggers who gets a theme or ingredient each month and makes some sort of variation for it. It could be traditional or nontraditional and can be found in a cookbook, on a blog, or be a blogger's own creation! For more details, check out this page. This month, our theme is SHORTBREAD COOKIES. Perfect timing for Christmas, if you ask me!
I went to my go-to dessert vault: Sally's Baking Addiction! I found this slice 'n bake cookies recipe that is technically not quite a shortbread, but Sally made it using her shortbread cookie recipe as a base. They definitely taste a lot like shortbread and if anyone asked me, I would definitely call them a shortbread cookie. Surprisingly enough, these were a pretty big hit with the whole family. My kids loved them and that struck me as quite odd because they weren't super sugary overly sweet cookies. They were really easy to make and even though you have to let the dough chill for at least 4 hours, it seemed like they were done pretty quickly too. It worked out perfectly for me because I made the dough during Mason's nap and then baked the cookies as I made dinner.
Be sure to check out the other shortbread cookies below from my fellow Food Fighters! :)
What you need:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, divided
- 8 oz. milk chocolate or chocolate chips
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter for 1 minute until smooth and creamy. Add brown sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides and bottom if needed. Beat until fully combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Slowly mix until combined.
- Turn up to high speed and beat 3/4 cup hazelnuts into batter.
- Turn out onto floured work surface and divide into two pieces.
- Form into 8-inch logs and wrap with plastic cling wrap.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 5 days.
- When chilling time is done, preheat oven to 350* and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Unwrap logs and slice into 12 equal slices each (24 total). Place 12 per baking sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once cookies have cooled, melt chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave in short increments until smooth.
- Dip each cookie in chocolate to cover it halfway and then sprinkle with some of the remaining 1/4 cup hazelnuts.
- Let chocolate set and enjoy!
Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction
Thank you to everyone who participated in last month's DEVILED EGG Food Fight. I've decided to announce the winner of the previous month's Food Fight in my next Food Fight post. So without further ado...the winner of the DEVILED EGG Food Fight is...
My FRIED DEVILED EGGS! [By a narrow margin] Y'all should have seen how many were tied for 2nd place!
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram