Now that I'm finally a fan of chicken parmesan, thanks to PDub, I was super excited to try this chicken parmesan meatball recipe from one of my Secret Recipe Club Group D members, Melissa. I've really come around to being a superb meatball maker. If I am craving meatballs, it's one thing I don't need a recipe to make. However, it is nice to have a recipe to follow sometimes. What I particularly loved about this set of meatballs is the lemon zest. It added so much flavor to the meatballs and is definitely a staple in any meatballs I make from here on out.
Of course, you cannot go wrong when you add cheese to meatballs and make it all melty, ooey, and gooey. PLUS spaghetti. I just love any excuse to eat spaghetti!
What you need:
- 1 to 2 lbs. ground chicken [I used ground turkey]
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 Tbsp. spaghetti sauce
- Mozzarella slices
- Spaghetti sauce, heated
- Spaghetti, cooked
- Mix together chicken, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, parmesan, salt and pepper, garlic, egg, and lemon zest. Form into 12 to 16 meatballs and place on a foil-lined baking sheet with at least a one-inch lip.
- Mix together EVOO and 1 Tbsp. spaghetti sauce. Brush meatballs with mixture.
- Bake at 400* for 15 minutes or until done all the way through.
- Top with cheese slices and bake another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve meatballs over spaghetti topped with spaghetti sauce.