I often underestimate how much I am going to love recipes when I see the simplicity of the ingredients. I looked at this one and thought "Meh. Tacos" because it's just ground beef with taco seasoning and taco fixings. I should know by now that I'm gonna be impressed by simple recipes and blown away by ingredients I will throw together in a pinch on Taco Tuesday, not in casserole form, basically when they are actually in casserole form.
I have made this quite a few times since that first time making it because it's nice to not always have tacos and the kids enjoy taco salad because it's a little easier for them to eat than when it's in a hard or soft shell. I personally doubled the meat when I made it and I have plans to double the beans next time as well. Bell peppers or even a jalapeno would be a great addition. And cilantro is definitely a must [also not pictured in this initial time I made it].
What you need:
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
- Onion flakes or onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream and/or guacamole for topping
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Spread the refried beans onto the bottom of a casserole dish - I used a 9x13" pan.
- Meanwhile, brown and crumble ground beef. Season with taco seasoning, onion flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Drain, if needed.
- Spread ground beef on top of beans in casserole dish.
- Cover with about 2 cups of cheddar cheese then salsa.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350*.
- To serve, top tortilla chips with casserole and top with lettuce, tomato, cilantro, sour cream, and/or guacamole or any other desired toppings.
Recipe from Bombshell Bling
facebook | pinterest | bloglovin | instagram