Since Nick is a spicy food fiend, it wasn't even given a second thought when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. Potato soup is such a good soup because it's filling. A lot of soups have that problem where you can eat 3 bowls and feel like you've eaten nothing. Not only is this amped up with pepperjack cheese, but it also has bell peppers in it. I would go as far as to say a few jalapenos would be perfection in this soup, but I had no clue how spicy it would turn out (which it wasn't terribly spicy, both kids handled it just fine).
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 1/2 cups russet potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.), heated
- 8 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, divided
- Saute onions and garlic in EVOO and add to crockpot.
- Add carrots, potatoes, 1/4 cup bacon bits, bouillon, water, pepper, thyme, and flour.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add diced bell peppers, milk, and 4 oz. cheese.
- Cook on HIGH for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with remaining cheese.
Recipe from 365 Days of Crockpot