As a child, my only experience with salami was in a cold cut sandwich. It was definitely not my favorite thing. As an adult, I'm finding the more I try new foods and foods I once disliked, the more new foods I'm finding I love. I now have no qualms with salami and I don't shy away from eating it or making a recipe with it.
This stromboli was so yummy. The saltiness from the meat mixed with the cheese and the sweetness of the tomato sauce perfectly. All the textures worked together perfectly. We ate the whole thing within 15 minutes. Next time it is made, it will be a double batch for sure!
What you need:
- 1 recipe pizza dough (my favorite)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella
- Hard salami
- Honey ham
- 1 egg, beaten
- Dried parsley and Parmesan cheese
- Roll dough out into a large rectangle, about 10 by 16 inches.
- With the long side facing you, spread sauce on bottom 2/3 of the rectangle.
- Top with 1/2 the cheese, the meats, then the other 1/2 of the cheese.
- Brush empty 1/3 with egg wash. Roll up ends an inch and brush with egg wash.
- From the meat and cheese end, roll up like a jelly roll. Place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan. Slice some slits into the top.
- Bake at 500* for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve (with pizza sauce, if you wish!).