Now that I'm a certified chicken parmesan freak (thanks, PDub!), I've opened the window to some variations. The first I wanted to try was this zucchini version. Zucchini is one of those vegetables I will eat by the boatload in any which way - whether it's with hibachi or in a tasty bread.
What I loved about this is that the spices bring out such a mouthwatering flavor and the juicy tomatoes contrast perfectly with the crunchy zucchini and chicken. I served ours over angel hair and I'm working on convincing my husband that it needs to be on his home-from-deployment-missed-this list :)
What you need:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 cups Panko
- 1 Tbsp. minced onion
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 8 slices Provolone or Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Mix together flour and garlic powder.
- Combine egg and water in another dish.
- In a third dish, mix Panko, onion, basil, oregano, and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Slice zucchini in 1/2-inch thick rounds. Dip in flour, then egg, then Panko. Repeat with chicken.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and fry zucchini and chicken. Drain on a paper towel. *Chicken just needs to get golden, not necessarily cooked all the way through.
- In a 9x9-inch pan, pour canned diced tomatoes about 1/4-inch high. Place chicken on top of it.
- Put 2 slices of cheese on top of each chicken breast.
- Slice tomato and place one on each slice of cheese. Season with salt & pepper. Top with zucchini slices.
- Top with Parmesan and some of the mozzarella. Add the remaining diced tomato and more mozzarella.
- Bake at 350* for 25 to 30 minutes.
Recipe from The Gingered Whisk