The next Taco Bell copycat that I wanted to try to create was the Chicken Cantina Bowl.
Per their site:
"Experience our new citrus-herb marinated chicken, flavorful black beans, guacamole made
from real Hass avocados, pico de gallo prepared fresh daily, roasted corn and pepper salsa
and a creamy cilantro dressing, all served on a bed of premium Latin rice. Also available in
Steak or Veggie."
What I did was used my favorite marinade, Baja Citrus, and then basically tried to find ways to deal with what ingredients I could find. I used Spanish Rice with diced tomatoes instead of Latin rice and pico de gallo, guacamole ranch dressing and chopped cilantro instead of cilantro ranch and guacamole, and a black bean and corn salsa I found on a whim instead of black beans and the corn/pepper salsa. I wanted a little salad feel to this too, so I added spinach.
It ended up being a very delicious bowl of food. All of the different flavors worked perfectly together and there was a lot of different textures that made this a very interesting concoction.
What you need:
- 3 chicken breasts
- Baja Citrus marinade packet (plus ingredients needed)
- Spanish rice
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- Muir Glen Black Bean and Corn salsa
- Guacamole Ranch dressing
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Marinate chicken in baja citrus marinade for a few hours. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. Slice into strips. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, make Spanish rice according to package (using the petite diced tomatoes).
- To serve, dish some rice into a bowl. Top with some spinach and cilantro. Drizzle with salsa and dressing. Then place chicken on top.
Original Fantastical Recipe