I mentioned in my last beer soup post how much I was digging beer in food. This is perfect situation for me because Nick brews more beer than he can drink by himself and it's GREAT tasting beer. But also funny because when I ask if I can nab a beer for a recipe, he gives me this poor puppy dog sad face. But not his precious brew! But he always loves how the recipes turn out :)
I paired this delicious bacony beer soup with the Jalapeno PJ Cornbread Bites from earlier this week.
What you need:
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 large jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 bottle brown ale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz. bacon
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
- Extra sliced jalapeno and crumbled, cooked bacon, for garnish
- Cook bacon for 8 minutes and drain. Place bacon on paper towel lined plate.
- Add celery, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and thyme to the same skillet and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add 1/2 the bottle of beer and simmer for 5 minutes. Add broth.
- In a small skillet, melt butter; then add flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk roux into soup and cook 8 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, sharp cheddar, and rest of beer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with jalapeno and bacon; serve!
Recipe from From Away