It's definitely not-soup weather for most of the US and finally it's almost not-soup weather in New York. I think we're gonna stay at least in the 70s for now. However, I'm still catching up on recipes I've made in previous months, so you'll have to stash this away for a super cold summer night or fall.
I really didn't like sausage at all prior to this year, but I have come around with all these amazing soups with Italian sausage I've been making. During the cooler months (which is most of the year here), we have soup every Wednesday for dinner. I'm not sure why but Nick is obsessed with soup, so this was his request: Soup Wednesdays. Both of us thought the only thing lacking in this soup was more kale. It was so flavorful.
What you need:
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (32 oz.) boxes chicken broth [or the equivalent homemade broth]
- 6 to 8 white potatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 6 leaves Kale, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- Brown Italian sausage with onions.
- Then add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add broth, potatoes, basil, oregano. red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add kale and cream and heat thru.
Recipe from Dishing with Leslie