I missed out on last month's PTCBC, but I was ready for this month because it featured a cookbook by one of my favorite chefs: BOBBY FLAY!! The cookbook...
Kita gave us three burger recipes to choose from: Greek Burger, Crunch Burger (aka Signature Burger), and Provencal Tuna Burger with Roasted Garlic-Tomato Aioli. I really really wanted to do the Tuna Burger, but I don't know a place to get fresh, good quality tuna up here. I decided to do the Crunch Burger and even went out on a limb and decided to try the horseradish mustard mayonnaise too.
I was surprised at how much I LOVED the horseradish mustard mayo and the burgers were just extraordinary with potato chips on a potato bun. We will definitely be making these again soon. It's safe to say this is my new favorite burger.
What you need:
- 1 1/2 lb. ground chuck (80/20)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil (I used EVOO)
- 8 slices American cheese
- 4 potato hamburger buns
- 4 tomato slices (subbed with ketchup)
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce (subbed with spinach)
- 4 slices red onion (our grocery store had none, so no onion)
- Potato chips
- Horseradish Mustard Mayonnaise (made with 1/4 cup mayo, 2 Tbsp. Dijon, 2 Tbsp. drained horseradish, and salt and pepper - I made mine with 1/2 cup mayo and 1/4 cup Horseradish mustard)
- If you make the mayo, mix ingredients 30 minute prior to making the burgers and refrigerate.
- Separate ground chuck into 4 patties. Indent the center with your thumb. Season with salt and pepper. Cook burgers in oil without pressing them down and only flipping once. Top with cheese in last few minutes of cooking.
- Serve on toasted potato buns topped with tomato/ketchup, lettuce/spinach, onion, potato chips, and mayonnaise.