I first found out this recipe years and years ago when my friend and fellow army wife, Jaime, stuck a few cans in a saucepan. I was a little baffled and thought she might've bumped her head or something - but she reassured my skepticism with explaining this method of easy and delicious caramel or dulce de leche.
I guess a lot of people call this the bomb method online. You do have to babysit the cans while you are simmering them. They have to stay COMPLETELY submerged in water. As long as they are covered in water completely, they won't explode.
What you need:
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- Remove label from can and place in a saucepan.
- Fill with water - over the can completely and an inch or two more, if you can.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours.
- *IMPORTANT* Check every 20 to 30 minutes to ensure that the water is covering the can completely plus some to prevent explosions! Yes, explosions.
- Remove from water, let cool, open, and use!
Recipe from Jaime Akin